Re: Oracle/VMS performance problems with Multithreaded Server

From: Alan Greig <A.Greig_at_virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:27:41 GMT

On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:24:46 GMT, "Tom Wade" <t.wade_at_vms.eurokom.ie.nospam> wrote:

>We wanted to set up an Oracle database which could be queried and updated
>using Oracle Forms on PCs. We wanted this to run on an OpenVMS Alpha
>platform
>without having to insert an NT or (even worse) Unix based web server in the
>middle. We have been told it is not possible because the Forms server does
>not run on VMS. If this is correct, then it doesn't add up to "fully

Well Oracle Forms is part of Develloper 2000 which is available for VMS. Can run either as a character cell terminal app (traditional forms) or in X GUI mode.

However in your case Oracle Forms would be running on the PC and use SQL/Net to talk to the Oracle server running on VMS. This works fine. To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a "Forms Server"

>supported" to me. Perhaps somebody out there knows better, or is doing this
>a slightly different way ?

Did this comment come from Oracle or some other consultant? In any case sounds as if they don't know what they are talking about.

You could also avoid having to run any part of Oracle on the PC by using an X client (err server....) on the PC such as Exceed or eXcursions. Which is the way we do it.

But if you really want to be bang up to date then Oracle 8i can be run on VMS with the form running as a Java Applet in the PCs browser.

--
Alan Greig