Shutdown of Oracle Database Hangs

From: Livery Stable <jbrigman-sp4mb10ck_at_ipass.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:28:11 -0400

Hey Oraclites:

I'm a UNIX system admin managing some UNIX servers w/oracle databases running.

Many times (but not always, and not consistently) the database won't shut down (even using "shutdown immediate") there are these LOCAL=NO processes hanging around that won't go away, and they hang the UNIX OS on the way down. If you kill the processes the database will shut down. But this seems to always bite me worst when I'm trying to do system maintenance, and I'm thinking about what I have to do, not killing the oracle-sql connections that are sticking around.

Can anyone talk to me about this? Offer any kind of explanation or experience? I rarely see the problem mentioned on the oracle newsgroups, so I'm starting to think it's only at MY site.....?!?

If there's any URL's that go into this topic, just the url posting would be OK. Thanks for any experiences or help;

James Brigman
UNIX System Admin Received on Thu Oct 12 2000 - 21:28:11 CDT