Re: Shutdown of Oracle Database Hangs

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:15:40 -0500

it may be that the network connections are from applications that were terminated abnormally. for example, a windows nt machine that was powered off while a connection to the oracle database was open. the database may be hanging on to transactions that have not yet been committed or rolled back, and the "shutdown immediate" may be waiting for those transactions to be completed.

when i am sure that the database needs to come down, and "shutdown immediate" hangs, i ctrl-c out, start up another server manager session, issue a "shutdown abort" to bring the database down, followed by "startup mount restrict", "alter database open" and "shutdown immediate" to recover the database back to a consistent state.