Re: from Databases to E-commerce

From: Sean Welsh <seanw_at_order.com.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:48:14 +1000

Hello,

Your knowledge of databases will be invaluable in e-commerce. I would suggest that you would need to get familar with how web servers talk to database servers (typically via some application server middleware and ODBC or JDBC).

Obviously you will need to learn HTML and graphic design for building front-ends if that is what you really want to do. However, you might find focusing on performance issues with web application servers an area where your DBA skill is more useful and valuable.

(Most of the time this is tuning SQL written by web developers. I do quite a lot of converting scripts written in interpreted middleware languages like Cold Fusion or ASP to stored procedures in PL/SQL for example.)

Many interactive web sites have serious performance problems under load. On the net you cannot control the number of users that hit your database so this is a great challenge which would allow you to leverage your DBA experience to the maximum.

An emerging trend also in e-commerce is what some pundits call post-web e-commerce in which one companies' ERP connects to another companies ERP for procurement purposes. This normally involves databases.

Regards,

Sean Welsh