Re: Upgrade gone bad...

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 23:01:58 GMT

If you still have the original database intact and if the migration utility fails for you then you might consider this: doing a full export from the old database, creating a new 8.1.6 database modeled on the original, then importing your full export into the new one. If the original database is not OK, then do a restore and/or recovery on the 8.0.5 database first.
If you can't restore to the 8.0.5 database because of improper backup procedures you may be out of luck. In this case call Oracle support to see if they can suggest any way of saving some or all of your data.

Van

"Christian Holm" <christian_at_neholm.dk> wrote in message news:8ro3qp$89l$1_at_news.inet.tele.dk...
> Hi all
>
> I've been trying all day to update our Oracle 8.0.5 database to Oracle
> 8.1.6. I installed 8.1.6 into a new home, and everything installed fine. I
> then started the migration utility after making a copy of all the files in
> the /database directory.
>
> Halfway through the migration, error-messaged starting to appearing,
 stating
> that the instance was down. I confirmed this and tried to restart the
> services, but got loads of error-messages. I've been trying to get it up
 and
> running again, but can't. I seems that all the configuration files is
 messed
> up. Does anyone have a step-by-step way of starting the database, listener
> etc. from the command-line?
>
> The database is fairly small (< 500 mb), and only contains a few users.
 What