Upgrade gone bad...

From: Christian Holm <christian_at_neholm.dk>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 23:15:44 +0200

Hi all

I've been trying all day to update our Oracle 8.0.5 database to Oracle 8.1.6. I installed 8.1.6 into a new home, and everything installed fine. I then started the migration utility after making a copy of all the files in the /database directory.

Halfway through the migration, error-messaged starting to appearing, stating that the instance was down. I confirmed this and tried to restart the services, but got loads of error-messages. I've been trying to get it up and running again, but can't. I seems that all the configuration files is messed up. Does anyone have a step-by-step way of starting the database, listener etc. from the command-line?

The database is fairly small (< 500 mb), and only contains a few users. What is important though is the data. I can recreate the users and such, I just need the data stored in the database.

So my question is, can I uninstall 8.0.5 and 8.1.6, and install 8.1.6 from scratch, and then import the database from the database-files? If yes, how? If no, what can I do then?

Thanks for your help,

Christian Holm Received on Sat Oct 07 2000 - 16:15:44 CDT