Re: backups and restores

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:48:58 -0700

In reading this thread I think part of the problem is that there is documentation and it is in a clearly labeled chapter on Backup and Recovery and it comes with the product. When you install Oracle it even gives you the option of installing off the CD or running it from the CD. I think part of the point is when asking questions is to at least attempt to read the material and give evidence of that attempt in the question. It is very possible after reading documentation that something is unclear or confusing. Certainly I think people are more than willing to clarify confusion and increase understanding etc. I think there is some resistance, and rightly so, to trying to regurgitate whole topics when it SEEMS that the person writing the question has not made an attempt to read the documentation (when there is some). I have found people get a better response when they give the impression that they have done some research or explained what and why they are trying to do something. For example, if someone was having trouble creating a stored procedure and they wrote that they tried the following code in SQLPlus
create procedure foo(...
and it compiled with errors and so I fixed the errors and tried create procedure foo(...
and it said I already had a procedure what do I do. Then I think they would get a nice answer - try create or replace foo... - because they indicicated that they had tried something and what it was and what the problem was. They are not going to get useful help, usually, if it is just how do I create a stored procedure? answer RTFM and when you have a problem then ask. But golly gee try something. I think people object to being taken advantage of their good graces. Meet them halfway and you will be amazed at what they will do to help.
Jim

"nomenclature" <nom_at_tonal.net> wrote in message news:39CB0E71.2DB120A_at_tonal.net...
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> >
> > I was advised several times not to respond to this type of question
 anymore.
> > I am already ignoring many too obvious questions like 'what are the
 default
> > accounts','what is the password of system','How do I create a stored
> > procedure'. Get a life!
> > However I do think, when I stop doing that, a vast amount of questions
 will
> > remain unanswered.
> > If that is what people want, OK, fine with me, however, in that case I
 will
> > indeed actually unsubscribe, without any doubt.
>

> No, don't do that. Don't worry about simple questions
> going unanswered - less experienced folk like me try to
> answer those - in the hope that next time I have something
> I can't fix I can get advice from others who've seen me
> post here. I guess I should stop changing my name though...
> But please stick around for the more interesting topics.
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > "Michael J. Moore" <hicamel_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Bill,
> > > Sybrand is quite active on this list and other Oracle lists and
 probably
> > > spend hundreds
> > > of hours per year answering questions. I for one feel fortunate to
 have
 him
> > > and others like
> > > him here to help out when we get stuck. On occasion a person will post
> > > this newsgroup
> > > only out of laziness. On occasion unfortunate errors are made in
 identifying
> > > these
> > > freeloaders.
> > >
> > > Oracle's recovery mechanisms are very flexable, and under some
> > > configurations you
> > > can restore the database from the last complete backup and then roll
 forward
> > > to any moment in time.
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > "BillR" <William.Rosmus_at_cita.com> wrote in message

 for
 you.