backups and restores

From: BillR <William.Rosmus_at_cita.com>
Date: 2000/09/21

Hi,

    I am a SQL Server person trying to get some info on Oracle backups and restores.

Does Oracle allow backups (dumps) of a transaction log(s) (I am using a SQL Server term, but I hope the terms are similar enough that you understand me)? As well, if there is a crash of a data drive (assuming the transaction log is on a different physical drive), can you back up the active portion of the transaction log to allow a combination of regular/full database backup and transaction log backups to provide restoration to the point of failure? Or is there another method to do this? Is there anything preventing restoration to the point of failure?

Thanks in advance,

BillR

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT