Re: backups and restores

From: BillR <William.Rosmus_at_cita.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:30:06 GMT

Perhaps I over-reacted, but to imply that I am lazy and/or ignorant simply because I happen to use another tool, angered me a great deal. He does not know me or my work ethic.

I am aware, those exposed to Sqlserver, don't like to read manuals, yet that is exactly what I recommend to you. You can't expect anyone in this group to abstract a complete chapter of a manual for you.

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

I am neither lazy nor ignorant.

I simply wished to know whether Oracle does something (up to the point of failure recovery), NOT how to do it. Perhaps I should have phrased that better. Now that I know that it can, yes I WILL buy an administrators guide, and spend the time to understand what I need.

My apologies to Sybrand.

BillR

In article <Vlzy5.235931$i5.3175224_at_news1.frmt1.sfba.home.com>,   "Michael J. Moore" <hicamel_at_home.com> wrote:
> [...]
 probably
> spend hundreds
> of hours per year answering questions. I for one feel fortunate to
 have him
> and others like
> him here to help out when we get stuck. On occasion a person will
 post to
> this newsgroup
> only out of laziness. On occasion unfortunate errors are made in
 identifying
> these
> freeloaders.
>
> Oracle's recovery mechanisms are very flexable, and under some
> configurations you
> can restore the database from the last complete backup and then roll
 forward
> to any moment in time.
> Mike
>
> "BillR" <William.Rosmus_at_cita.com> wrote in message
> > A simple "yes, it will allow restoration to point of failure in a
> > similar manner described", or "no it won't" would suffice. If you
> > didn't want to answer don't answer. If perhaps you don't know the
> > answer, I am not looking to expose your ignorance, nor am I asking
 you
> > to research the answer for me. Your rudeness and arrogance is not
> > appreciated, and is evidence of a small mind.
> >
> > I am sure that there are references and information in text books to
> > all the questions and problems that are raised in this newsgroup. I
> > wonder why you don't reply in kind to all those asking questions
 here.
> > My belief is that this is a forum to help get quick answers to those
> > with more experience. I apolgize if my use of SQL Server offends
 you.
> > Likewise if you find offense in my asking a simple question here to
> > forgo any un-necessary purchase of an expensive book, and a day's
> > reading to answer a question that would take a reasonable Oracle DBA
> > about 30 seconds to answer. (Which is probably quicker than the
 time it
> > took you to write your nasty response... do you use one finger to
 type,
> > or two?)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bill Rosmus, SQL Server DBA
> >

> > In article <969564601.483.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > > The Oracle server administrators guide has a separate chapter on
 backup and
> > > recovery. I am aware, those exposed to Sqlserver, don't like to
 read
> > > manuals, yet that is exactly what I recommend to you. You can't
 expect
> > > anyone in this group to abstract a complete chapter of a manual
 for
 you.

> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> > >
> > > "BillR" <William.Rosmus_at_cita.com> wrote in message

 back
 up
 method to
 do

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Sep 22 2000 - 10:30:06 CDT