Re: Oracle configuration for multiple instances

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:03:03 GMT

Ok, here is one solution.

Why this suddenly works today is beyond me. It is exactly what I had done before I put this post on! Yet another one of computing's great mysteries ...

ORACLE DBA SUBJECTS

LISTENER =

  (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= IPC)(KEY= PNPKEY))
        (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(Host= blue)(Port= 1521))
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =     (SID_DESC =

      (ORACLE_HOME= /apps/oracle/product/805)
      (SID_NAME = JUNK805 )

    )

    (SID_DESC =

      (ORACLE_HOME= /apps/oracle/product/734)
      (SID_NAME = JUNK )

    )

  )

LSNRCTL> start
Starting /apps/oracle/product/805/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

Services Summary...

  JUNK          	has 1 service handler(s)
  JUNK805         has 1 service handler(s)

In article <8n9rk6$m3m$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   argosy22_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi all,

> I am having a problem setting up Oracle to
> run two instances: a 734 instance, and an
> 805 instance. Running on unix - Sun 2.6.
> Each runs 2 databases, a JUNK database, and
> another one that we develop with. So,
> 4 databases running on 2 instances.
>

> There are two different ORACLE_HOMEs, one for
> 734, and one for 805. The .profile for unix user
> oracle has been configured to favor 805.
> So, all paths point to 805 directories.
>

> After reading the newsgroups, I only start
> the 805 listener. The status indicates that all
> four services are started.
>

> If I start the databases as user oracle,
> using dbstart, they all start alright.
>

> However, what I can't do is login to the 734
> databases. The only way that I can get into
> the 734 databases is to log onto Unix as a
> user with the 734 paths in their .profile and:
>

> export ORACLE_SID=JUNK
> (the scott/tiger 734 database)
>

> sqlplus
> username: scott
> password: tiger
>

> I cannot use: sqlplus scott/tiger_at_JUNK
>

> So, the problem seems to be in setting up
> the listener correctly.
>

> The interesting thing about the listener is that
> status will show four service handlers. However,
> if I stop the listener, and then run the status
> command, I get error messages for only 2
> databases.
>

> So far, I have identified five files that
> would potentially need to be modified:
>

> in /apps/oracle/product/805/network/admin
>

> listener.ora
> tnsnames.ora
>

> in /apps/oracle/product/734/network/admin
>

> listener.ora
> tnsnames.ora
>

> /var/opt/oracle/oratab
> - all databases added here.
>

> Does anyone know the secret to make this work?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Argosy
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Aug 18 2000 - 15:03:03 CDT