Re: What's the Solaris....

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: 2000/07/30

If creating a new database is where you're headed, then the database creation assistant is very much improved. These days we create every new database with the assistant, then tweak it afterwards. The assistant takes care of all the housekeeping for you - adding an entry in tnsnames.ora, stopping and restarting the listener, taking care of your intelligent agent, etc. etc.

Van

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3983768a_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> "DataBog" <DataBog_at_monmouth.com> wrote in message
> > tool that is equivalent to NTs ORADIM80 to create a new database
 instance.
> > I know I deserve to get abused for this question but I can't find it any
> > where in the docs and I'm running out of time. The docs point to
 attaching
> > via enterprise manager via Windows to create the instance ID. But that
> > confuses me because in the old days (V6 and 7) we would have used
 sqldba.
> > What is the 'today' equiv. I have already created duplicate DBs in an
 NT
> > environment but would like to export one to a Solaris box to do some
> > performance comparisons.
> >

> There's no equivalent. ORADIM is the NT tool that is required to create
 the
> NT services associated with an Instance. Unix doesn't have those sorts of
> services, so ORADIM is not required.
>
> All you have to do to create an Instance (and I'm assuming you're using
> Oracle 8.0 of some sort, and that it's already been correctly installed)
 is: