Re: What's the Solaris....

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/30

"DataBog" <DataBog_at_monmouth.com> wrote in message news:g2Kg5.91628$lU5.655737_at_news1.rdc1.nj.home.com...
> tool that is equivalent to NTs ORADIM80 to create a new database instance.
> I know I deserve to get abused for this question but I can't find it any
> where in the docs and I'm running out of time. The docs point to
 attaching
> via enterprise manager via Windows to create the instance ID. But that
> confuses me because in the old days (V6 and 7) we would have used sqldba.
> What is the 'today' equiv. I have already created duplicate DBs in an NT
> environment but would like to export one to a Solaris box to do some
> performance comparisons.

There's no equivalent. ORADIM is the NT tool that is required to create the NT services associated with an Instance. Unix doesn't have those sorts of services, so ORADIM is not required.

All you have to do to create an Instance (and I'm assuming you're using Oracle 8.0 of some sort, and that it's already been correctly installed) is:

1) export ORACLE_SID=xxx (ie, the name you want for your Instance)
2) fire up Server Manager (ie, 'svrmgrl' at the command line),
3) connect / as sysdba (assuming O/S authentication)
4) startup nomount pfile=initxxx.ora (assuming you've already got an
appropriate init.ora file created and properly set -make sure especially that the db_name, control_file and db_block_size parameters are properly set)

That gets you a bare Instance. You can now issue the 'create database xxx logfile group 1 'yyy' size 1M, group 2 'zzz' size 1M datafile 'aaa' size 100M' command, and you'll build yourself a database to go with it (the control file will be created wherever the control_files parameter in init.ora specifies).

You then need to run catalog.sql and catproc.sql (usually found in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin) to make the new database fully functional.

Hope that helps
HJR