Re: Inserting 300.000.000 datasets ..

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: 2000/07/14

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:55:47 GMT, "Hans-Jürgen Schönig" <a9601497_at_unet.univie.ac.at> wrote:

>I have a process that generates about 300.000.000 datasets which I need to
>import into an Oracle 8.1.6 on RedHat Linux. Since I don't have the space
>to store and then insert the data I'd like to do this via a pipe (or named
>pipe). Is there any possibility to use SQL-Loader? I tried named pipes but
>all my attempts failed.

Named pipes should work. What you need is a program that reads the datasets and pumps them out the pipe WITHOUT closing the output file unit at the end of each dataset. You'll prolly have to write a C program to do that, I don't think any of the UNIX standard filters will do it. As soon as a EOF makes it thrpugh to the named pipe, SQL*Loader will get it on the other side and promptly terminate.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Fri Jul 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT