Re: Migration Comparison

From: <sergey_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/20

I think that syntax differences between SQL Server and Oracle (though sometimes minor) would pretty much cause a rewrite of stored procs. So, that can be a sizable effort right there. It depends on whether SQL stored procs were coded with SQL standards in mind. For example, in Oracle it's insert into table_name values (...) while in SQL Server you could have insert table_name (...). Stuff like that can be a pain.

hth

Sergey

In article <394FCB39.4AAA1D96_at_worldnet.att.net>,   nospam_at_worldnet.att.net wrote:
> Would anybody care to comment based on real experience or speculate on
> the effort associated with migration of a VB-front-ended application
> from SQL Server 6.5 to Oracle 8i vs. DB2 UDB v7.1. The application has
> many stored procs written in TSQL. I know that UDB 7.1 now has an SQL
> procedure language for stored procs. based on the SQL99 standard.
>
> I'm particularly interested in similarity of TSQL to the SQL99
 standard
> vs. PL/SQL, programming paradigm/construct differences, concurrency
> model differences, etc. I'm not interested in feature/function
> comparisons ... strictly in the difference in migration effort and any
> major reprogramming that might need to be done.
>
> Anybody been through this analysis? Anybody been through either
> migration and care to comment on pitfalls, gotchas, positive
> experiences, negative experiences?
>
> Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT