Migration Comparison

From: <nospam_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 2000/06/20

Would anybody care to comment based on real experience or speculate on the effort associated with migration of a VB-front-ended application from SQL Server 6.5 to Oracle 8i vs. DB2 UDB v7.1. The application has many stored procs written in TSQL. I know that UDB 7.1 now has an SQL procedure language for stored procs. based on the SQL99 standard.

I'm particularly interested in similarity of TSQL to the SQL99 standard vs. PL/SQL, programming paradigm/construct differences, concurrency model differences, etc. I'm not interested in feature/function comparisons ... strictly in the difference in migration effort and any major reprogramming that might need to be done.

Anybody been through this analysis? Anybody been through either migration and care to comment on pitfalls, gotchas, positive experiences, negative experiences?

Thanks! Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT