Re: Moving to new Server and upgrading Oracle

From: A <A_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/06/20

Well, just got a high level explanation of their plan to migrate our databases.

This involves:

  1. Copy the 8.0.5.2 Oracle binaries over.
  2. Move the datafiles over (with the identical data structure that we have on our E4500's even tho it's changing to an OFA compliant structure with a recommended 14 Luns vs. 5 Luns current). Recover the database.
  3. Test the current configuration environment of the 8.0.5.2 software .
  4. Change the Lun configuration on the new E10K's to reflect the new environment wanted. Move the datafiles to their new location.
  5. Update the Oracle control files to reflect the new data structure environment
  6. Upgrade the Oracle software to 8.0.6
  7. Bring over the archive logs from the running instance on the old server, and roll forward.
  8. Test the new environment.

Am I missing something here, or is this the most bizarre plan I have ever heard of.