Re: Security issue in Oracle.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/28

Answers embedded
<david_petit_at_yahoo.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 8gp311$9ip$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question related with security. I am using Oracle 8.0.6 in
> Solaris. I know that when a user has DBA group (in OS level), he can
> connect to Oracle by typing "connect internal" in svrmgrl (without
> typing password). Since my company has different teams for OS and Oracle
> database. I don't want the OS administrator can create a user and
> granted DBA to this user and login to Oracle later (by using svrmgrl
> or SQL*Plus). Is it possible to enable the password with "connect
> internal" in svrmgrl (and SQL*Plus) even if the OS user has DBA group?

No.
In fact, assuming the sysadmin has the root password, he can su to the oracle account, so he has sysdba privilege anyway. In short: trust him, if you don't trust him, fire him.

> I remember that in NT, the situation is different. I need to type the
> password with "connect internal" in svrmgrl. What can I do such that I
> don't need to type password with "connect internal" in svrmgrl?

create the os_<SID>_dba|oper group, add that group to your NT account, and enable OS authentication at Oracle level by adding the line: sqlnet.authentication_services=(NTS)
to sqlnet.ora on the server.

> Thanks,
> David
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun May 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT