Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: 2000/05/25

I'm sure that oracle.com will give you some ammo - to be countered with stuff from Microsoft.com. My question is why do you want to use Oracle? If you have good business and/or technical reasons then use those as arguments. For example if you think scalability is an issue with sql server, you could illustrate Oracle scalability by talking about the clustered platforms it could be run upon, parallel server etc.

If however you don't want to use SQL server because you don't like it - i.e. its a subjective thing then I really don't have that much sympathy. databases are business solutions (like all of IT is ) and should *always* be chosen on the basis of match to business needs.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
"Meghana" <megh_mNOmeSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I want to use Oracle as my database server. My lead
> wants to use SQL Server as the database server. The project
> is a Web Integration project with the database. We have to
> use the Database extensively. So I want to know the
> drawbacks of SQL Server over Oracle in features pertaining
> to performance/cost.
>
> please if possible send a mail to megh_m_at_yahoo.com
>
> Thank you,
> Regards,
> Meghana
>

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful