Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 2000/05/24

Meghana <megh_mNOmeSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> I want to use Oracle as my database server. My lead
>wants to use SQL Server as the database server.

Let him use SQL-Server. And then when it fails, he gets fired. You jump to the rescue with Oracle. You get his old job, a pay raise and ride off into the sunset with your sexy new blond secretary.

Seriously though, a point about which I often harp about in this ng - business requirements. Choose the technology to meet the business requirements (and limitations, and budget, and support infrastructure, etc. etc.)

Hell, technically we know that Oracle kicks SQL-Server butt! :-)

HOWEVER, do not just choose technology for the sake of it. SQL-Server -is- a better solution than Oracle at times. As will Oracle be a better solution than SQL-Server at times. From a business perspective of course.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT