There's gotta be a better way...

From: buckwheat <news4_at_REMOVEbaxnet.net>
Date: 2000/05/03

Coming fresh from an MS-SQL environment, I sure find it hard to believe that Ora (8.1.6 on Win2k) is so damn hard to work with. I've got to make a table, and give it about 50 columns. With mean Bill's tools that come with SQL7, I can do it in about 2 mins. Not with Oracle...

Let's see, I gotta make this table. Cool. Made the tablespace, even setup a new schema with a cool new user that owns everything. Great. New table. Hot dog, I'm cookin now.

Now I've got to add columns. Wait a minute, this ain't as swift as it was with any other data system I've used. I'll try "DBA Studio". And if I work at it, I can add one column a minute. This aint working.

I'll try "TOAD". Same thing. No quick table-like grid interface to add/mod columns. How bout SQL-Navigator (Quest)? Same thing. Hell, can't even see columns with that thing.

Now, maybe, just maybe I can use MS-Access via ODBC to really get to that Ora-DB. Add, modify, delete to/from the schema, wouldn't that be neat? No workie. Not even with Ole-DB. Hmmmm..

I guess SQL-Plus is it, ain't it? "add column ... add column... add column... zzzz Received on Wed May 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT