Re: There's gotta be a better way...

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 2000/05/04

buckwheat <news4_at_REMOVEbaxnet.net> wrote:

>Coming fresh from an MS-SQL environment, I sure find it hard to believe
>that Ora (8.1.6 on Win2k) is so damn hard to work with. I've got to
>make a table, and give it about 50 columns. With mean Bill's tools that
>come with SQL7, I can do it in about 2 mins. Not with Oracle...
<snipped>

Hand crafting. Some of the most awesome, most beautiful, fastest, most desirable sportscars in the world, are built by hand. Every piece. Custom crafted for the customer. Down to the color of the interior, and the size, shape and tilt of the driver seat. Where the car becomes the ultimate driving experience for that customer.

On the other side you have you mass produced little Japanese subcompact which is ..er.. well, nice. Just nice.

Now you come from building little cars to bulding real cars, and you -dare- to bitch about having to handcraft it!?

Creating tables is not just as simple as type up a bunch of columns and data types in a grid. Hell, if it's the amount of typing that got you upset, then use something like Excel to help you out.

However, creating tables are much more than just typing names and data types up in a grid. It requires lots of careful thought ito of the physical design of the database. What is the growth of this table going to be? How is fragmentation best handled for this table? How can the best disk i/o performance be achieved on this table - which tablespace should be used? Parallel processing using parallel query. Partitioning. Clustering. And so on. And so on.

Which also shows why SQL-Server does not cut it. Microwave/Microsost databasing. Pop it in the microwave on high for a few seconds and there's my utterly KeWL database. Hot dogging!

In Oracle, we still handcraft our databases. Which is why they are the fastest. Which is why they are awesome. Which is why the most desirable database technology in the world is Oracle. Where Oracle becomes the ultimate business solution tool for that customer.

And yes, we have bigger dicks too..

regards,
Billy
(just another proud Oracle craftsman)