Re: Hot backup - when to clear those archived logfiles?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/05/01

        To recover restore that last full backup and apply all archive logs created since the start of the backup. When I have done restores I always had my archives online. I don't know if you could do a recovery if the archives are on multiple tapes.

        In any event if you are running a mission critical application (otherwise why bother with hot backups) why on earth don't you expand your hardware configuration? If you can add hardware do yourself a favor and get enough drives so that you can mirror the database.

On 5/1/00, 12:32:49 AM, "WCK" <JackDaniel_at_Im in IT yeah!.com> wrote regarding Re: Hot backup - when to clear those archived logfiles?:

> but when to purge all those archived redo logfiles? for example;
> supposed I start my database to run on archived log mode on sunday
 morning,
> I saw the first archived redo logfile#1 in the system, in the meantime

I do
> hot backup of all the controlfiles and datafiles (take#1), plus init &

> others.

> Them I do an incremental backup of the archived redo logfiles
 throughout the
> weekdays.

> Then on the next sunday, I configured the system to take in a new hot

> backups of the datafiles and controlfiles (take#2)and saw the logfile

number
> at 200. Does that mean I can purge off all the logfiles #1-199?

> Can I have a complete recovery the week after with hot backup at
 Take#2 with
> logfiles #200 onwards?

> I only have 2 volumes of 8GB harddisk spaces & 70% usage already. I
 cannot
> keep all the logfiles anymore.

> Please advise.
> WCK

> Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com> wrote in message

> When running hot backups you should do the following:

> Back up the archives
> Back up the database
> Delete the archives that have been backed up.

> Many DBAs, myself included, prefer not to delete the backed up
> archives for a couple of days - just in case it is necessary to
> recover from something other than the latest backup. (This assumes
> that you run hot backups on a nightly basis.)

 the
> > datafiles?

> > And to have a complete database recovery, should I restore the most
 recent
> > hot backuped datafiles and those logfiles after that or do I have to

 put in