Re: Oracle 8.0.4 and HPUX 11.0 swap

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/04/22

the swap space is allocated when a shared segment is created in memory. so each oracle instance does _require_ swap space, equal in size to the shared memory segments it creates.

resizing swap space on HP-UX 11.0 cannot be done dynamically (according my sys admin). resizing swap requires a reconfiguration of the logical volumes, resizing of the file systems, and a reboot.

if someone else knows differently, i would love to hear about it.

(this post is relevant to Oracle in that Oracle on HP-UX requires sufficient swap space.)

"Jerry Gitomer" <jgitomer_at_erols.com> wrote in message news:20000422.5131300_at_noname.nodomain.nowhere...

It depends on the job mix you are running. If you are running relatively few different queries, not too many users and you SGA(s)
aren't too big for the system you may never use swap space. On the
other hand if you are running three or four instances and find seven
hundred large queries in v$sqlarea and you have hundreds of users with
MTS you may want to have more than 3 times RAM for your swap space.

I am not familiar with the steps involved in increasing swap space in
HP-UX. If you can increase it dynamically start with 2 GB and monitor
its use. If, in order to expand swap space, you have to rebuild all
of the file systems on the systems disk (one of the less endearing
traits of a popular Unix implementation I encountered 10 years ago)
and then reinstall everything and rebuild your databases from scratch
it is better to be safe and go with the 6GB recommendation - even
though it is probably excessive.

On 4/21/00, 7:29:55 PM, Jeff McKenzie
<mcjeff_at_xmission.xmission.com>