Re: Oracle 8.0.4 and HPUX 11.0 swap

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/04/21

on HP-UX 11.0, the Oracle SGA is allocated as a "shared memory segment", and HP-UX allocates swap space for the entire segment when the memory is allocated.

so, if you are planning to use 1Gig of RAM for the database buffers, you'll need to have 1Gig of disk space available in swap.

in addition to disk space allocated for the "shared memory segments, swap space is needed so that the OS doesn't cause a system panic when it runs into an "out of memory" condition