Re: Create DB script - Solaris Raw device

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/04/08

another idea to add: for additional flexibility, you may want to consider creating a symbolic link to the raw partition (logical volume or device), and referencing the symbolic link as the filename in oracle. if you need to relocate data to another physical volume (device), you can simply replace the symbolic link without having to change the filename within oracle or backup scripts.

This works great for Oracle 8.0.6 on HP-UX 11.0 (using Logical Volume Manager). You'd need to check the specifics for your OS.

HTH "Silvio Seifert" <silvio.seifert_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:8cnuf1$2mt$1_at_news03.btx.dtag.de...
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 18:52:24 GMT, "Reji Baby"
 <reji_at_apogeenet.com>
> wrote:
>
> Basically it is the same as with filesystem-based datafile.
> Use the fully qualified pathname of the raw partition as the
 datafile
> name, that's it.
>
> E.g., your raw partition is /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3
>
> Then you should use a datafile clause like ... datafile
> '/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3' size some_size ...
>
> If you use a volume management like DiskSuite or Veritas/Sun
 OEM
> Volume Manager you will have datafile name like these:
>
> DiskSuite (without metasets) /dev/md/rdsk/metadevice_name
> Volume Manager /dev/vx/rdsk/diskgroup_name/volume_name
>
> Again, using the examples for fielsystem-based datafile,
 simply
> substitute the filename with the full qualified pathname of
 the raw
> device.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> >Hello:
> > I am trying to create an Oracle 8i Release 2 DB on a
 Sun Sparc