Re: Error after execing SVRMGR>startup open 'orasid'

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/03/29

Alan C. Byrd <daft_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:38E18E8A.87C5A2D1_at_pacbell.net...
> I am new to Oracle (oracle8). I am the SUN / Unix Admin and now I have
> been asked to fill in as the OracleDBA.
>
> I was able to install currectly, except when at the SVRMGR> prompt and I
> type in startup open <orasid>, I am returned an error that says
> "ORA-#####: Unable to connect to the shared memory; not enough rights"
>
> ORACLE_OWNER=oracle
> ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.5.
> oracle belongs to the dba group
> logged in as oracle
> ./dbstart comes back with successful warm start
> ./lsnrctl start is successful
>
> Any tips on how to mount and open the db would be much appreciated?????
>

> Alan Byrd
> Media.Net

The correct procedure is
ORACLE_SID=<yoursid>; export $ORACLE_SID svrmgrl
connect internal
startup open [pfile=...]
if dbstart comes back with succesful warm start, the database IS started and you don't need to start it again.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Mar 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CST