Re: Do you know any good Oracle knowledge sites?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:40:05 +0100

Answers embedded

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Jeffrey Jarnot <jeffreyj_at_globalbiz.net> wrote in message news:b1dp4.39558$ox5.10160006_at_tw11.nn.bcandid.com...
> Hello all,
> I'm a Newbie to Oracle...(Not DBs and programming)
> I recently bought (and received) the 8i EE and Dev kits ($400.00) for NT.

Docs should be included on the CD

> I wanted to start jumping into this world.
>
> I have found:
> 1- I cannot get a listner configured and running for my life

Which tool are you using. IMO, using the Oracle 8 tools this is pretty straightforward.
> 2- I need to know of a decent web site KB (if any exist)
http://technet.oracle.com
also
http://www.oracle.com/support (Of course you need to have a maintenance contract. Technet is free)
For more advanced regularly occurring issue www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont

> 3) Which book do you use and like the best.

Everyone should have
Oracle the complete reference
The Oracle DBA handbook
Steve Feuerstein's book about PL/SQL programming and either the book of Richard Niemic (published by Oracle Press) or Guy Harrisson about tuning.