Re: Why hot backups?

From: Max La Menace <fournier.toms_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 23:45:10 -0500

Rus wrote:

> It seems the hot backups you have are incremental in nature.

They are: the database does one tablespace, then the other. But when the users screw up across all tablespaces, what good does it do me? And hos do I restore a hot (incremental and tablespace) backup?

> Personally, I'm a huge fan of the export utility. I've had systems mulch
> my dbf files (which werent
> caught by the OS backup utilities since the files are always open).
> A quick drop and creation of the affected
> tablespaces followed by an import has saved the day (and the uptime)

Me too. I just did an export of a tablespace from prod to import into Test that I had screwed up and nobody noticed a thing. Love it.

Thanks for the prompt answer! Received on Thu Feb 03 2000 - 22:45:10 CST