Re: Which OS is better?

From: Rus <raybr_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:44:37 GMT

Stavros Kalamatianos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My group is migrating to a new Database/OS platform from MS Access 97.
> We are contemplating moving to Oracle.
>
> There has been one critical question came up in our discussions, that
> is, which OS is best suited for Oracle: Solaris or Win NT ?
>
> We need input freom a 3rd party who has experience with both OSs
>
> Your input will be deeply appreciated.
> Thanks in advance,
> Stavros K.
> Systems Analyst, Dimensions Int'l, Alexandria, VA

I've DBA'd on both OS (7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6 and 8.1.5 on NT)

For my money, Solaris is the best bet.

You cant beat the stability (98% - 99% uptime common, including maintenance) .
Routine process automation via sql*plus and shell scripts really kicks as well.
On the client side, having any *nix clients can vastly improve performance, since
windows clients are forced to burn cpu cycles, while *nix can access the server directly
(telnet / ssh) to perform large jobs on the big iron.

--
---
Rus

"The usefullness of a thing depends on its nothingness" -- Lao Tzu

PGP public key available upon request. Received on Thu Feb 03 2000 - 22:44:37 CST