Re: Why hot backups?

From: Rus <raybr_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:34:38 GMT

Max La Menace wrote:

> I am new to this NG and apologize if the answer exists in deja.com. But
> if it does let me know and I'll go there.
>
> A consultant set up the Oracle Financials database I am managing.
> Tonight I did my first restore in production and, having never done a
> restore from a hot backup I called Oracle. They recommended that I
> restore from my last cold and rolled forward even though I take hot
> backups every night.
>
> Then why the heck am I waisting those expensive tapes on hot backups I
> am not going to use?
>
> Thanks!

It seems the hot backups you have are incremental in nature.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the export utility. I've had systems mulch my dbf files (which werent
caught by the OS backup utilities since the files are always open). A quick drop and creation of the affected tablespaces followed by an import has saved the day (and the uptime)

--
---
Rus

"The usefullness of a thing depends on its nothingness" -- Lao Tzu

PGP public key available upon request. Received on Thu Feb 03 2000 - 22:34:38 CST