Re: data import from Lotus or Excel to Oracle 8i

From: DawgByte <dawgbyte1_at_go.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:50:11 -0600

Lesley,

A couple of options:

  1. Export the data to a flat(ascii) file and use SQL Loader to import the data to Oracle. A little trick when saving an Excel spreadsheet as a flat file for importing to a DB - define the width of each column to an integer value(larger than actual data width) and then save the file as a space delimited(.prn) file. This causes the text file columns to be sized the same as in the spreadsheet.
  2. Use VBA ODBC procedure to insert data directly into the Oracle DB. Wish I had my VBA reference with me today so I could give you some sample code.

Hope this helps.

DawgByte