Re: Table defragmentation/resizing question: Is this dangerous ?

From: Michael Ivanov <ivanovmj_at_niiefa.spb.su>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:33:45 +0300

Guy Dallaire wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:28:02 GMT, gdallair_at_criq.qc.ca (Guy Dallaire)
> wrote:
>
> >Suddenly, I'm starting to doubt about a procedure used here:
> >
> >- On a production database, table A goes to its MAX EXTENT REACHED
> >
> >Resolution:
> >
> >- The DBA exports the table with export (CONSISTENT=Y)
> >- The DBA drops the table (Or truncates and adjust storage)
> >- The DBA re-imports the table
> >
> >Is this OK or should I arrange for ALL USERS to exit and prevent them
> >to connect during this intervention ?
> >
> >If the DBA permits the users to connect whil fixing the problem, while
> >the table is dropped and while it is in the process of being reloaded,
> >I wonder what happens if users are hitting the table (inserting or
> >deleting in it).
> >
> >Isn't the integrity of the data compromised ?
> >

> >Thanks
>
> Please not that my question is not wheter it is useful or not to
> defrag this table, but wether or not doing so while users are
> connected is dangerous.
>
> I cant put an UNLIMITED extents to this table because I'm running
> 7.3.4

If you have trouble with unlimited extents, then check compatible parameter in init file :
$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$(ORACLE_SID).ora by default at UNIX

--

 Best regards.

 Michael Ivanov - Computer System Support Group Head  NIIEFA, Sovietsky pr. 1, Metallostroy, Saint Petersburg, 189631, RF

                E-mail: ivanovmj_at_niiefa.spb.su
                phone: +7 812 4627863
                fax:    +7 812 4644629