Re: Table defragmentation/resizing question: Is this dangerous ?

From: Brian Yan <by999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 20:15:30 GMT

Definitely this kind of work should be done after hours. And there are many things to look after. Such as the foreign keys, etc. Better generate the script to re-enable the foreign keys after reorg.

Although I have done some similar work on Production before. I am still not sure how to do a reorg using exp/imp in 24x7 environment. Any suggestions?

In article <38837853.7062537_at_news.risq.qc.ca>,   gdallair_at_criq.qc.ca (Guy Dallaire) wrote:
> Suddenly, I'm starting to doubt about a procedure used here:
>
> - On a production database, table A goes to its MAX EXTENT REACHED
>
> Resolution:
>
> - The DBA exports the table with export (CONSISTENT=Y)
> - The DBA drops the table (Or truncates and adjust storage)
> - The DBA re-imports the table
>
> Is this OK or should I arrange for ALL USERS to exit and prevent them
> to connect during this intervention ?
>
> If the DBA permits the users to connect whil fixing the problem, while
> the table is dropped and while it is in the process of being reloaded,
> I wonder what happens if users are hitting the table (inserting or
> deleting in it).
>
> Isn't the integrity of the data compromised ?
>
> Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jan 18 2000 - 14:15:30 CST