Re: sqlplus hangs

From: Bruce Galloway <bruceg_at_totalsports.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:55:54 -0500

We had something similar here after a DB reboot recently. From particular workstations, some users could log in, others could not (I was in the NOT class on MY computer - bummer!). We spent a few hours running around and around trying to figure out what the problem was, even resorting to calling Oracle tech support.

I finally found a solution/workaround to the problem. In tnsnames.ora (or your equivalent Net8 configuration file) check the CONNECT_DATA portion.

Set to CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = name) would fail.

Set to CONNECT_DATA = (SID = name) worked!

According to our DBA types, we never had service name running so it should never have worked. All I know is I connected until the DB reboot and could only reconnect when I changed to SID=!

Bruce