Multithreaded server performance problems

From: Malcolm Dunnett <dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca>
Date: 15 Jan 2000 08:14:14 -0700

  [apologies if you see this twice, my newsreader was having some y2k hiccups]

   I've been testing a program against an Oracle 8 database. It's been running a dedicated server connection up to now. Today I tried enabling the MultiThreaded server and connecting that way. Performance was horrible, a report which used to take 2-3 minutes to run was still going after 1/2 hour.

   Any ideas why the performance using the MTS would be so bad? The program is written using V7 OCI calls and doesn't use the array interface, it fetches single rows at a time. This hasn't been a problem with a dedicated server process but I'm wondering if this is the cause of the MTS problem ( ie do MTS connections have a whole lot more overhead for each FETCH? )     I realize I can still make a dedicated connect when the MTS is running by changing the connect string. If I do this the performance goes back to what I'd expect, but I'm curious if I've done something wrong or if this is the sort of performance hit one should expect in this case.

     Would converting to V8 OCI and using a large prefetch buffer solve the problem? Received on Sat Jan 15 2000 - 09:14:14 CST