Re: French error messages ?

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:47:14 +0100

plums wrote:
> I have created a database (8.0.5 on Solaris 2.6) with character set of
> WE8ISO8859P1, and have set NLS_LANG="FRENCH_FRANCE.WE8ISO8859P1".
> But, my server error messages still display in English and not French - why
> A select from NLS_SESSION_PARAMETERS gives me
> SQL> select * from nls_session_parameters;
> PARAMETER VALUE
> NLS_LANGUAGE FRENCH
> NLS_TERRITORY FRANCE
> NLS_CURRENCY F
> NLS_ISO_CURRENCY FRANCE
> NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS ,.
> NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
> NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD-MON-RRRR
> NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE FRENCH
> NLS_SORT FRENCH
> and a
> SQL> select to_char(sysdate, 'dd/Month/yy') from dual;
> TO_CHAR(SYSDATE
> ---------------
> 17/Décembre /99
> is also correct, but
> SQL> select sysdate from dual1;
> select sysdate from dual1
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> gives me the error in English.

NLS_* tells the database how to use the data that is inside the database,
as you can see with the SELECT SYSDATE statement.

When an error is raised, the client prints the message, not the server. You have to tell the clients (SQLPLUS for example) that you want your messages in french.
On unixes this is usually done by setting the environment variable LANGUAGE.
In your case I would suggest "export LANGUAGE=French".

--
Erwin Dondorp
<http://www.dondorp.com/> Received on Sat Dec 18 1999 - 03:47:14 CST