Password File problem

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_nospambigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:47:06 -0500

I'm having a password file problem after re-creating a database. I shutdown the old database and removed all the redo, data, and control files. I then re-created the database with the same SID name but with less features. (Didn't run a lot of scripts for the special options like intermedia etc.,)
When trying to create the database, I got a failure because

ORA-01990: error opening password file '/u01 etc., Granted, the file doesn't appear to exist, but I've never run into this before. I found a line in the init.ora file that I had put in weeks ago
remote_login_passwordfile = exclusive.
I took it out and now the database has been created and runs. But, I cant add users to a "public" password file. What am I missing?

I don't recall ever HAVING to run orapwd when creating a database.