Index rebuilding (was: change index in tablespace)

From: Paul Bennett <bennett_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 02:43:19 GMT

Does it make sence that rebuilding an index would cause the new rebuilt index to fit just inside the initial extent? The index is on a table that doesn't get very many deletes, just inserts. Why would the size of the index decease so dramatically. Why does it just happen to fit inside the initial extent? Also, there is only one extent, the size is shown to be larger then the initial extent size.

Does not compute.

Thanks.

Here is an example:

SEGMENT_NAME

PARTITION_NAME                 SEGMENT_TYPE
TABLESPACE_NAME                BYTES      BLOCKS     EXTENTS
INITIAL_EX NEXT_EXTEN MIN_EXTENT MAX_EXTENT PCT_INCREA FREELISTS FREELIST_G BUFFER_
After alter index cm_updated_date rebuild;