failed to extend rollback segment

From: <rkegel_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:26:28 GMT

Hi,

I ran several insert/update statements on very large tables (using Oracle on Win NT) and encountered the problem of too small rollback segements for some of these statements, e.g.:

ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment number 3 ORA-01650: unable to extend rollback segment RS3 by 512 in tablespace RBS or

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment number 5
ORA-01650: unable to extend rollback segment RLARGE by 1280 in
tablespace RBS

I read that I can specifically set a rollback segment for a certain statement with

set transaction use rollback segment xyz

But how can I find out what size and max. number I should specify? Is there a problem when I set a rollback segement too large? What else do I have to take into account?

Thank you for your help.
Rainer
---
Rainer Kegel
Scheuring Projektmanagement
http://www.scheuring.ch

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 13 1999 - 06:26:28 CST