Re: Oracle rollback segment

From: Joel Garry <jgarry_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 23:03:30 GMT

Hi Mike:

The only stupid question is the one not asked (now watch a bunch of real stupid questions come up!). However, your question does indicate you may be a bit unclear on what certain terms mean. I would recommend reading the Oracle Concepts manual to start.

Rollback segments are used by transactions. Various users may have transactions on data that is in a number of tablespaces. Generally, DBA's create a tablespace dedicated to rollback segments, since they require different management than ordinary data and DDL.

If you are asking if a rollback segment can span tablespaces, the answer is no. If you asking if a tablespace can span files, the answer is yes. In the latter case, it is entirely possible to waste a lot of space with rollback segments.

Many applications require especially large rollback segments. It is common to dedicate a large rollback segment to the app in this situation.

In article <3841f4d7_2_at_news1.prserv.net>,   "Mike Ng" <mike_at_email.tech-trans.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new in Oracle. I have a stupid question. Can a rollback segment
be
> shared with several tablespace? Or one rollback segment only dedicate
one
> tablespace?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

jg
--
These opinions mine
mailto:joel-garry_at_nospam.home.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 29 1999 - 17:03:30 CST