beta 8.0.4

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_nospambigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:57:34 -0500

This is probably a waste of my time but I'll ask anyway - A developer is using a free beta release of Oracle 8.0.4 for NT Enterprise edition probably
about a year old. He is trying to create a database link to a real release Oracle 8.1.5
database on AIX 4.3.2 running on a big machine. I have tried this with global_names
both false and true, and sqlnet.ora parameter names.default_demain both set to world
and blank. All options don't really seem to make a difference.

If we create a link like this :
create database link fp connect to OFPRD identified by OFPRD using
'ROY'.

and do a select on location_at_fp.
We get

                                            ^ ---
            TNS cannot resolve service name etc.,
So I tried making the service name the same as the instance name with sql*net
easy config. and then
create database link OFDVP connect to ofprd identified by ofprd using
'OFDVP';

and get the same result.
You can tnsping80 the service OFDVP, but I am confused as to why tns would be
trying to resolve a database link name as if it was a service name unless I'm misinterpreting
and it is really having trouble with the using "OFDVP" statement. But that bothers
me because I can tnsping80 that service.

Any thoughts would be appreciated..and I am curious about this issue.. but the developer
shouldn't be using a beta version to work with anyhow so this isn't that urgent.