Re: Enlarging Volumes on HP-UX

From: Yass Khogaly <ykhogaly_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:22:05 -0800

Solution Description:

  Although resetting TWO_TASK to P: may allow you to bring up the   database without an error or passwords, this may not be your solution   of choice if you require full use of V1 and V2 SQL*Net for client   connects.

  Removing the TWO_TASK environmental variable altogether resolved   all problems. Client connections are still possible on V1 and V2 SQL*Net   and bringing up the database does not involve errors or passwords.

  Solution Description:

  Check the privileges of the Unix user.

  Database startup and shutdown are controlled by Unix Operating System   privileges, and the appropriate entry must exist in /etc/passwd.

  Refer to Chapter 1 Administering Oracle Databases, Connecting as Internal   in the Oracle7 Server Administrator's Guide.

  Automatic Shutdown and Startup - additional notes:

  If you are doing an automatic shutdown or startup, issue the command from your
  cron job as the Oracle user by using 'su -c oracle'.
     Syntax:
          su - oracle -c <command>

     Example:
          su - oracle -c dbshut

  Also be sure that you are running the cron job as root and that root is part
  of the dba group in the file /etc/group.

"The Views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Oracle Corporation"

jennetta <jennetta_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8154pj$tt$1_at_news.duke.edu...
> I enlarged the volume on which I had previously installed Oracle 8.0.4.
> Prior to enlarging the volume, I made sure that I could successfully stop
> and
> start the instance. After the enlarging of the volume, when I try to
issue
> the
> startup command, I get an ORA-1031, insufficient privileges error.
Anybody