Re: NT versus AIX

From: Whammy <whammy_at_no.place.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:06:53 -0600

I worked at a company that did telephone calling card processing. It was not uncommon for these systems to handle 500,000 to a million calls a day. Thank God it was Unix. These systems would run for months without a hiccup. In comparison, the NT based machine that acted as a proxy server would crash every two weeks or so, despite having a fraction of the system demands placed on it. The NT system being used as a network bridge was no better. The linux firewall ran for nearly a year with a reboot. It would have gone longer, but a long term power failure ran the batteries down on the UPS. NT is pretty, but it lacks the stability of Unix. NT is also a resource pig.