Re: Oracle and RAID 5

From: <rstrouss_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:06:52 GMT

We run Oracle V7 with RAID 5 on HP-UX and writes are noticably slow. A large cache will compensate for the inherent slowness of the technology, but not enough. Our RAID box is a "smart" RAID device. This means that if you have enough space for the device to play with it will reduce the RAID level which can result in better performance. I have not seen any numbers to prove this claim, but that's the line from our vendor. My feeling is that eventually all boxes will be "smart" and it's one more thing the DBA won't have to bother with.

The thing that the RAID 5 device does give you is reliablity. Providing the box is working correctly. That's the reason my manager opted for the RAID 5 solution.

We have all our database files on the RAID 5.