Re: Oracle and RAID 5

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 15:17:28 -0500

No, it isn't dangerous ---- just terribly slow. If you want to make you AIX box run about as fast as a manual typewriter or an old fashioned adding machine just put the redo logs on your RAID 5. In my last job the Unix Sysadmin configured one of our Oracle servers for RAID 5. Moving just the redo logs off of RAID 5 resulted in a fivefold increase in performance. Yes, it was safe, but it wasn't fast enough to be usable.

hth
jerry gitomer

Stephanie Wood wrote in message ...
>I have a question for those people out there running oracle (v7)
on Unix
>(preferably AIX but any Unix OS will do). Are you running RAID
5? Do you put
>all of the Oracle files on the RAID 5 disks? According to a
white paper from
>Oracle it looks dangerous to put the redo logs, rollback
segments and
>temporary tablespace datafiles on RAID 5 disks (any files that
do sequential
>reads)....
>
>If you are running RAID 5 and have put all of the files for
Oracle on the
>RAID 5disks, have you had a disk failure and have you
successfully recovered