Re: Oracle 8.0.5 Linux

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:03:16 -0800

Brian

TSPITR is an Oracle8 feature. But I think the bigger answer is you are confused about what it does. TSPITR is used to recover an individual tablespace to a point in time in the past, while the rest of the database remains current at today's time.

The ALTER TABLESPACE xyz BEGIN BACKUP command simply tells Oracle that the tablespace is in backup mode. It freezes the header of the datafiles for the tablespace, while still allowing blocks in the datafiles to be updated.

HTH. Pete