Re: How to rename an oracle instance?

From: wade <w_at_w.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:05:32 +1000

To do this you have to re-ceate your controlfiles. you must first logon as system and run

alter database backup controlfile to trace;

this will put a trace file in your udump directory.

edit this file changing REUSE to SET and the change the sid name throughout. also change NORESETLOGS to RESETLOGS

I don't have any scripts with me to show exact but if you look up how to create a controlfile you will find all you need.

Don't forget to change init.ora, oratab, listener.ora, tnsnames.ora etc and to change your $ORACLE_SID before you run the create controlfile script.

Regards
Wade Noordink

P.S. I f you need me to send you an example of the create controlfile script email me personally and I'll send you one.