Re: How to rename an oracle instance?

From: Mehul Zaveri <mehulzaveri_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:10:05 +0400

You want to change ORACLE_SID or you want to change db name? db name can be changed by recreating control file (see create controlfile command)

ORACLE_SID can be just changed by renaming initNEWSID.ora and this file must have correct db_name parameter.
After renaming file, just set ORACLE_SID=NEWSID;export ORACLE_SID; and start db.
(db_name must match, what is in controlfile?) Assuming UNIX (NT may not work same way, or will it?)