Re: Who secures Backup tapes? UNIX gurus comment please....

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 2 Nov 1999 19:42:30 GMT

> We have a requirement to make sure that all sensitive data is
secure (8i,
> solaris).
> I see backup tapes as a major potential security hole: many
sites use
> contractors to take tapes offsite in trolleys/vans etc. What
is stopping
> someone lifting a tape, restoring it to a machine and (at
worst) hex editing
> and stringing the database files? Especially on high capacity
DLT's. Same
> applies to hot swappable RAID disks.
> We need a solution to allow encryption of sensitive (non
indexed) columns
> using a key generated by a system security server. Preferably
by a third
> party product, probably using pl/sql routines.
> This is the level of security that the rest of the system
uses -
> networking, authentication etc so backups should be no
exception.
> Government sites, financial sites, HR systems : does anybody
have something
> in place to get around this, or am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks!
> Mark
> (remove NOSPAM if responding)

Mark,
You are right that it is conceviably possible to comprimise the security of backups given the proper equipment. Most orginizations are not concerned with the security of their backups beyond the physical aspect. In most disaster recovery plans the big issue is how to get quick access to data for recovery operations. The driving need for this of course is the fact that the orginization requires the data in order to run the business.
As far as encrypting your data for added security most backup programs have an option allowing you to password protect the tape. If you require additional levels of security your options you can always run crypt/PGP against all sensitive data.
Cheers,
BJ

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=6878&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=6916 Received on Tue Nov 02 1999 - 13:42:30 CST