Who secures Backup tapes? UNIX gurus comment please....

From: MTeehan <MTeehan_at_DELETEME-wantree.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 20:35:04 +0800

We have a requirement to make sure that all sensitive data is secure (8i, solaris).
I see backup tapes as a major potential security hole: many sites use contractors to take tapes offsite in trolleys/vans etc. What is stopping someone lifting a tape, restoring it to a machine and (at worst) hex editing and stringing the database files? Especially on high capacity DLT's. Same applies to hot swappable RAID disks.
We need a solution to allow encryption of sensitive (non indexed) columns using a key generated by a system security server. Preferably by a third party product, probably using pl/sql routines.  This is the level of security that the rest of the system uses - networking, authentication etc so backups should be no exception. Government sites, financial sites, HR systems : does anybody have something in place to get around this, or am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Mark
(remove NOSPAM if responding) Received on Mon Nov 01 1999 - 06:35:04 CST